Cream of Tomato soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 x 380g (13oz) packs tomatoes on the vine, quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 500ml (17fl oz) vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp half fat crème fraîche
- handful fresh basil leaves
Dip chunks of crusty bread into this easy-to-make soup. This healthy bowl of goodness is filled with juicy vine tomatoes and topped with swirl of crème fraîche to create a delicious winter lunch.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and garlic, cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes, until softened and starting to colour.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, red wine vinegar and bay leaf, stir well to combine then cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Add the stock to the pan, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes until the tomatoes have collapsed completely.
- Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and blend the soup with an electric hand whisk, until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Divide the soup between 4 bowls, top with a swirl of crème fraîche and the basil leaves.
Tip: To make this soup vegan, simply swap the swirl of crème fraîche for a dollop of dairy-free yogurt, or serve with just the fresh basil instead.